Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stick Your Flu Shot!


Welcome to my life. Day 5791. Greetings my Zany Zealots. So the Yanks are one win away from getting into the World Series!!! We've got this crazy good pitcher named C.C. Sabathia. He's like 7 feet tall and 400 pounds. A regular giant. Kind of cool. Like something out of Harry Pooper. I know I'm always making fun of Harry but I'm actually kind of a closet fan. Of the books, anyway. The movies suck! The third one was okay but mostly they just treat the audience like little kids and that's not what the books do at all. I mean, I guess I am a kid, I just don't like getting talked down to. Harry is my age. He's always been my age. The movie Harry, anyway. And from the very first one I thought they were too childish compared with the books. The other thing is that they don't really get the humor across, again except for the third one - Prisoner of Azkhaban. They should have let that director direct all of them.

Anyway, the Yanks are on the verge but I'm not letting myself get too excited. I haven't been a fan that long but I've seen footage of how they collapsed against the Red Sox in '04, shattering the Curse Of The Bambino. That's kind of what got me into baseball to begin with, this awesome curse. Check it out - The Red Sox were like the best team in baseball at the time, having won 8 World Series and the Yankees sucked, having won zero - this was 1918 - and the owner of the Red Sox sold Babe Ruth, this fat pitcher, to the Yankees to pay for some Broadway play for his girlfriend to star in. Babe was the hero over there in Beantown so they were kind of selling their soul. Their fans definitely weren't impressed. Anyway, the Yankees took the ball out of his hand and replaced it with a bat. The rest is history. For the next 86 years the Yanks win 26 championships while the Red Sox win zero. Nothing. Nada. Nintendo. (just came up with that.) Until 2004, when the Yankees were up three to nothing in the championship series and the Red Sox came back and won 4 in a row. It had never been done before. But that's what they had to do to break the curse. Aren't curses cool? And the Babe? He only went on to set every home run record in the books. Now the Yankees have A Rod who will probably set some new home run records before he's through. It took me a while to like him. Especially with the whole steroid thing. At least he fessed up. But watching him hit these homers in the postseason - he's got 5 now - well it's kind of awe-inspiring. You really feel the history of it. His reputation may forever be tarnished but the love of his fans may be only beginning.

In other news, my school is trying to get everyone to get Swine Flu shots and I'm not feeling it. I did some research and found this story about Desiree Jennings, this Washington Redskins cheerleader who got permanent brain damage from a flu shot. She has seizures like every five minutes. Hey, at least she didn't get a runny nose. Actually she did. She was in the hospital with the flu. She was training for a marathon before she got the shot. A lot of people are getting sick at school. I was sick last week. I'm not a doctor or anything but I'm not letting them stick anything in me. Especially after those two movies last night. They're probably trying to give us all Swine Flu. Some form of sinister population control. Maybe it's fitting that we all die like pigs.

Here's the Cheerleader story:

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got something to say?