Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Anne Rice and the Shroud of Turin


Welcome to my life. Day 5819. Hello my Sanctimonious Salamanders. What is the world coming to?! Anne Rice is so engrossed in her Jesus studies, I'm starting to worry about her. On her Facebook page she writes:

"The Shroud of Turin is such a delicious mystery. The photographs made from it, the different studies, the questions as to its authenticity, all conspire to make it an enduring focus of attention. I wonder if we will ever know what it really is."


For those not in the know, the Shroud of Turin is supposed to be this sheet that was covering Jesus after his death and basically his image got imprinted on it.

My response:
Can I just point out that radio-carbon dating tests on the 'shroud' place the origin of the material it is printed on about a 1000 years after Christ's supposed existence? But who would let a little thing like science get in the way of blind faith. While I'm at it, can I point out that the Jesus myth is actually a rehash of the Egyptian Horus myth? Complete with virgin birth, crucifixion and resurrection. Jesus' birth also coincides with the exact moment of the beginning of the Age of Pisces (which we are now in). Anyway, you have to question the rationality of persons who treat religious text as historical record. I don't even trust so-called historical record of the very recent past. Like did we really go to the moon a mere 7 years after we first went into space? Logic would preclude at least fifty years before technology was so capable. And they'll have us believe that that little bubble wrapped in gold foil is all it took? If you buy that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that's on sale.

Here's a picture of our flag waving proudly on the moon (on which there is no wind).


But I digress. I'm not saying there isn't a God. I'm just saying that the arrogance it takes for someone to claim to 'know' God astounds me. Believe all you want. Believe in something. Something greater than us. Something purer. Just don't try to speculate what 'it' is. Appreciation of its un-knowability is the true essence of faith. Anything else amounts to nothing more than the chasing of one's proverbial tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You got something to say?